If a tooth has been knocked out, do not clean off the tooth.
- Call your orthodontist or your dentist immediately to inform them of what has happened.
- Upon locating the tooth, hold the enamel end of the tooth, not the pointed end/root.
- Do not rinse the tooth in water. Do not scrub the root. You may remove large debris. If possible, put tooth back in socket where tooth was and hold in place with gauze or washcloth. If it is not possible to replace the tooth in its socket, put the tooth into cup of milk or saline solution, or put the tooth between the cheek and gum. Do not put the tooth in plain water.
- Apply an ice pack to the affected soft tissue area to reduce swelling.
- Do not let the tooth dry out. A tooth can often be saved if cared for properly and reimplanted within an hour.